EUA enfrentam avisos de calor excessivo
July 12, 2021 - Os Estados Unidos estão a ser assolados por tempo extremamente quente, causando avisos de calor em áreas a oeste das Montanhas Rochosas.
The U.S. National Weather Service continues to warn citizens west of the Rocky Mountains to brace for dangerously hot conditions, as the country endures some of the hottest temperatures ever recorded – 54.4°C registered in California's Death Valley on Friday.
In Ohio alone, at least 116 people have died from the heat, with many more Americans seeking shelter in makeshift cooling centres where air conditioning and floor mats offer people some much needed rest.
Making matters worse, wildfires, fanned by high winds, are affecting areas from the Canadian border all the way south to Mexico – disrupting power supplies needed by air conditioning systems.
June 2021 was the hottest in U.S. history, killing scores of people, knocking out power supplies and depleting vital water reservoirs.
- US heatwave: Wildfires rage in western states as temperatures soar (BBC)
- After hottest June ever, U.S. braces for new heatwave in West (Reuters)
- Excessive heat warning (National Weather Service)
- Max temperatures and departure from climatology (National Weather Service)
- “Climate departure” description (MGI)