Biden autoriza ataques na Síriaauthorises strikes in Syria
February 26, 2021 - Os EUA lançaram ataques aéreos contra milícias apoiadas pelo Irão na Síria, em retaliação por recentes ataques contra alvos dos EUA no Iraque. Foi a primeira ação militar ordenada pelo Presidente Joe Biden.
The military action was described by John Kirby, Pentagon press secretary, as a proportionate response.
Shia militia groups have claimed responsibility for attacks on U.S. facilities in Iraq in recent weeks. A rocket attack last week killed a civilian contractor and injured several others, including a member of the U.S. military.
Rockets have also struck U.S. bases in Baghdad, including the Green Zone, which houses the US embassy and other diplomatic missions.
There are about 2,500 U.S. troops in Iraq to assist Iraqi forces in the fight against the Islamic State (IS) group.
The military action came as the Biden administration has sought to open talks with Iran to revive the 2015 accord that sought to limit Tehran’s nuclear programme in exchange for sanctions relief.
- Sitrep map (Institute for the Study of War)
- U.S. Airstrikes in Syria Target Iran-Backed Militias That Rocketed American Troops in Iraq (NYT)
- U.S. air strikes in Syria target Iranian-backed militia: Pentagon (Reuters)
- US launches air strikes against Iranian-backed groups in Syria (FT)
- Biden takes first military action with strike on Iran-backed militias (BBC)