Arménia e Azerbaijão acordam pôr fim aos combates por Nagorno-Karabakh
November 10, 2020 - A Arménia e a Azerbaijão assinaram um acordo mediado pela Rússia para pôr fim ao conlito militar pelo disputado enclave de Nagorno-Karabakh, que prevê a colocação de 2.000 militares russos para manutenção da paz e controlo das concessões territoriais.
Nagorno-Karabakh has been under the control of ethnic Armenian forces backed by Armenia since a 1994 truce ended a separatist war in which an estimated 30,000 people died. Sporadic clashes have occurred since then, and full-scale fighting began on September 27.
Several ceasefires had been called but were almost immediately violated. However, the agreement announced early Tuesday appeared more likely to take hold because Azerbaijan has made significant advances, including taking control of the strategically key city of Shushi on Sunday, AP said.
The new ceasefire agreement prompted anger in Armenia, as protesters stormed the parliament, beating up the speaker and reportedly looting the prime minister's office, the BBC said.
Under the new deal, Azerbaijan will hold on to areas of Nagorno-Karabakh that it has taken during the conflict. Armenia has also agreed to withdraw from several other adjacent areas over the next few weeks.