FIM DE ANO
Antevisão de 2020 interactivo
January 1, 2020 - December 31, 2020 - A infografia interactiva mostra uma seleção de acontecimentos previstos para 2020, como as eleições nos EUA, Taiwan, Irão, Israel, Coreia do Sul e Hong Kong, bem como grandes acontecimentos desportivos como os Jogos Olímpicos de Tóquio e o EURO 2020. Os aniversários notáveis incluem os 75 anos das bombas atómicas sobre o Japão, o 50º aniversário da morte de Jimi Hendrix e os 250 anos do nascimento de Ludwig Von Beethoven.
1. After Boris Johnson’s election victory, and two missed deadlines in 2019, Britain is set to exit the EU on January 31 after 47 years in the club.
2. Tsai Ing-wen, who takes a hard line against China, is bidding for a second term as president of Taiwan.
3. China marks the Year of the Rat. People born in rat years are said to be quick-witted and resourceful.
4. Iran holds its 11th parliamentary election under the eye of the 12-member Guardian Council, which vets all candidates.
5. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences awards the Oscars in Los Angeles.
6. 2020 is a leap year, ending the four-year wait for a birthday for people born on Feb 29.
7. The race for the White House heats up on Super Tuesday, with 14 states voting for their preferred nominee on Mar 3.
8. Israel holds its third general election in a year after senior party leaders failed to form a majority coalition.
9. Nepal conducts a census of greater one-horned rhino. The previous count in 2015 identified 654 animals.
10. South Korea, struggling with a flagging economy, holds parliamentary elections.
11. The latest James Bond movie, No Time to Die, is released. Daniel Craig stars as 007 for the last time.
12. Artist Christo wraps the Arc de Triomphe in Paris in 25,000 square metres of blue fabric.
13. World Bee Day highlights the need to save the threatened pollinators. A third of the world’s food production depends on bees.
14. The Eurovision Song Contest takes place in Rotterdam, the first time the Netherlands has hosted the competition since 1975.
15. The Cannes Film Festival opens at the Palais des Festivals, which has undergone a major makeover.
16. UEFA EURO 2020 is held across the continent for the first time, with 12 host cities in all.
17. U.S. President Donald Trump hosts G7 leaders with the global economy as the most pressing concern.
18. Diplomats mark the 75th anniversary of the signing of the UN Charter in 1945.
19. Tokyo 2020 will be the biggest Olympic Games to date, featuring more than 11,000 athletes competing in a record 33 sports.
20. ExoMars, a joint European-Russian mission, sends a rover to explore the red planet’s inner chemistry in unprecedented detail.
21. The Democratic National Convention in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, chooses its presidential candidate for November’s election.
22. Two atomic bombings over Japan 75 years ago ended WWII but left the world aghast.
23. Tokyo’s Paralympic games begin.
24. The Republican National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina, will most likely crown incumbent President Donald Trump.
25. Hong Kong is scheduled to elect the city’s Legislative Council, a 70-seat mini-parliament dominated by pro-Beijing political groups.
26. The Mayflower set sail 400 years ago, carrying the Pilgrim Fathers to what would become the U.S.
27. Global Goal Live, a 10-hour concert across five continents, aims to promote the UN’s Global Goals to end poverty by 2030.
28. Guitarists and rock music fans mark the 50th anniversary of the death of Jimi Hendrix.
29. Dubai hosts Expo 2020, with pavilions from 180 countries.
30. Leaders from Latin America, Spain and Portugal gather in Andorra for the XXVII Ibero-American Summit.
31. The U.S. holds presidential and congressional elections.
32. Saudi Arabia hosts G20 leaders as it seeks to bounce back after an uproar over its human rights record.
33. New Zealand holds a referendum on whether to legalise cannabis for recreational use.
34. A total solar eclipse is visible from parts of Chile and Argentina.
35. Japan’s Hayabusa-2 craft is due to deliver precious asteroid samples back to Earth.
36. Concerts and celebrations around the world will mark the 250th anniversary of the birth of Ludwig Von Beethoven.