Amerika neemt de wereld over
June 8, 2018 -- De beslissingen van de regering Trump om uit de nucleaire Irandeal te stappen, het Parijse klimaatakkoord op te zeggen en heffingen op te leggen aan bondgenoten, zijn de nieuwste voorbeelden van Amerika’s unilateralisme.
Here are examples of how President Trump’s “America First” foreign policy is isolating America from both allies and adversaries:
* The U.S is trying to stop Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline from Russia to Europe. However, President Vladimir Putin may have calculated that sanctions are survivable, or will collapse as EU energy needs become paramount.
* Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has described Trump’s tariffs on G7 allies -- justified on national security grounds -- as “insulting and unacceptable.”
* Allies in the European Union are threatening retaliation against Trump’s punitive tariffs, hitting U.S. imports. EU opposes Trump’s Iran nuclear decision. German Chancellor Angela Merkel has advocated that Europe forge its own path forward, independent of Washington.
* Mexico has responded to U.S. steel and aluminium tariffs by imposing its own duties on American steel and exports from states that voted for Trump in 2016.
* Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has threatened to restart Tehran’s nuclear programme. The country is preparing a resistance economy using reserves of around $130 billion and boosting non-oil exports, which account for 11% of $460bn GDP. Iran plans to refine 300,000bpd of crude oil for the domestic market.
* Chinese President Xi Jinping plans to overtake the U.S. in technological supremacy. Beijing opposes U.S. Iran nuclear decision -- China is the largest buyer of Iranian oil, importing 700,000 barrels per day (bpd). The U.S. has threatened to impose 25% tariffs on $50bn of goods imported from China.
* Japan has opted for low-key response to U.S. steel and auto tariffs in the face of U.S.-Japan security partnership. Tokyo pays $4.8 billion a year to support U.S. forces in Japan.
* Washington’s demands that India cut its reliance on Russian arms under its Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act is straining relations. India opposes Trump administration’s sanctions on Iran – India is the second biggest buyer of Iranian oil, importing 620,000bpd.
* China is Australia’s largest trading partner and source of investment, but Washington is indispensable in providing security guarantee for Australia and New Zealand.