Äthiopien bietet Eritrea die Möglichkdeit, den Grenzkonflikt zu beenden
June 7, 2018 -- Zwei Jahrzehnte nach Ausbruch des Grenzkonflikts zwische Eritrea und Äthiopien, ist Addis Ababa nun bereit, den Schiedsspruch der Grenzkommission aus 2002 anzuerkennen – dann könnte Eritrea endlich den längsten Grenzkonflikt in Afrika beenden.
Ethiopia’s ruling party, Ethiopian People’s Revolutionary Democratic Front, says it will fully accept ruling that would entail ceding disputed town of Badme to Eritrea.
Tens of thousands of people were killed in the two-year conflict and Eritrea remains on a war footing, demanding that Ethiopia withdraws from the "occupied territory".
If Ethiopia follows through, the move could help settle some of the differences between the two archrivals on the Horn of Africa.
Peace with Eritrea is part of radical reform agenda initiated by Ethiopia’s new prime minister Abiy Ahmed to open up country after 26 years of authoritarian rule.
- Ethiopia, Eritrea: A Border Dispute May Finally End (Stratfor)
- Ethiopia 'accepts peace deal' to end Eritrea border war (BBC)
- Eritrea-Ethiopia Boundary Commission
- Ethiopia offers to withdraw from Badme in a bid to end stalemate and make peace with Eritrea (Opride)
- Ethiopia's PM says ending war, expanding economic links with Eritrea key for regional stability (Reuters)