Russische invasie: Situatie dag 548
August 25, 2023 - Russian president Vladimir Putin has confirmed the death of the talented businesman” Yevgeny Prigozhin and senior Wagner leadership, ending its existence as an independent military structure.
Preliminary U.S. intelligence indicates the Embraer plane in which they were flying from Moscow to St Petersburg was brought down by an explosion onboard, and not a surface-to-air or air-to-air missile as has been speculated.
The U.S. will begin training Ukrainian pilots in F-16 fighter jets as early as October, after the Pentagon gave the all-clear for Netherlands and Denmark to supply the planes.
To mark Ukrainian independence day, Kyiv launched a “special operation” involving a naval landing raid on occupied Crimea, which while strategically insignificant, will have raised alarm bells within Russian military circles that the sea defences in were breached.
In Zaporizhya Oblast, Ukrainian forces have advanced to the second line of Russian defences at Robotyne, widening their breach of defensive lines, with Russia maintaining few if any positions in southern Robotyne. Russia is being forced to to redeploy troops from Kherson Oblast to shore up the area.
- Institute for the Study of War
- Ukrainian pilots to receive F-16 training in US (Reuters)
- Wagner boss Yevgeny Prigozhin listed in Russian plane crash with no survivors (Reuters)
- Ukraine says it launched 'special operation' in Russian-occupied Crimea (Reuters)
- Russia says destroys 42 Ukraine-launched drones over Crimea (Reuters)