Russische invasie: Situatie dag 50
July 17, 2023 - Two explosions were reported on the vital Kerch Strait Bridge linking Russian-controlled Crimea to the mainland, leaving two people dead and the road split and leaning to one side.
Russian sate media has blamed the attack on Ukrainian “special forces” operating unmanned sea-borne drones, but some in Kyiv are speculating it may have been planned in Moscow to justify the lapsing of the Black Sea grain deal which expires Monday. The Kremlin has threatened to pull out of the deal unless “obstacles to the export of Russian food and fertilisers” are removed.
Russian President Vladimir Putin says he regards use of cluster munitions as criminal but may deploy them in a “reciprocal action” if Ukraine uses them against Russian forces. Niether Russia, Ukraine or the U.S. signed up to the UN Convention banning their use and Human Rights Watch believes both sides have already used them.
- Institute for the Study of War
- Section of Crimean bridge road split and sloping, video shows (Reuters)
- Black Sea grain deal to expire Monday if Russia quits (Reuters)
- Putin says Russia will use cluster bombs in Ukraine if it has to (Reuters)
- Ukraine, Poland say Wagner fighters arrive in Belarus (Reuters)