Controverses rond FIFA WK voetbal in Qatar
November 15, 2022 - Qatar 2022 is considered by many to be the most controversial sports mega-event for a long time, with issues such as basic human rights and workers' rights in the spotlight.
Since winning the bid to host this year’s World Cup, allegations of corruption, discrimination and human rights abuses have threatened to overshadow the tournament.
Homosexuality is illegal in the conservative Muslim country, and a report from the Guardian says some 6,500 migrant workers from India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka have died in Qatar since 2010.
- A desert World Cup blighted by a dust-storm of controversy (BBC)
- How has Qatar treated foreign workers? (BBC)
- The numbers World Cup hosts Qatar don’t want to be seen (Guardian)
- How Qatar can save its World Cup legacy (Foreign Policy)
- Why is Qatar a controversial location for the FIFA tournament? (Reuters)