Rusland gelast gedeeltelijke mobilisatie infographic
Graphic shows details of Russia’s partial mobilisation.
GN43248NL

OEKRAÏNE

Poetin roept 300.000 reservisten op voor oorlog in Oekraïne

September 21, 2022 - President Vladimir Putin has ordered Russia’s first mobilisation since World War Two. The partial mobilisation will see 300,000 reservists called up and will apply to those with previous military experience.

Russia’s call-up will include people who have had military training and, Putin stressed, have specialist skills needed in the Ukraine conflict. They will include many reserve officers, including some over 60, pulled in from retirement, according to the BBC.

Russia could in theory mobilise some 25 million people for military service, but that is not yet being considered. Both President Putin and Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu stressed that conscripts would not be sent to fight in Ukraine.

Mr Shoigu said the extra troops were required to defend a front line stretching for some 1,000km.

The mobilisation will be spread over months – and Mr Putin has said previously that Russia is prepared for a long fight, the BBC said.

Sources
PUBLISHED: 21/09/2022; STORY: Graphic News
Advertisement