Azeri-Armeense gevechten heviger
October 5, 2020 - Heavy fighting in the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh has intensified after Armenian forces bombarded Azerbaijan’s second city, Ganja, in retaliation for attacks on the capital of the breakaway territory.
The fighting brings the two former Soviet republics a step closer to outright war after eight days of clashes, and threatens to draw the regional powers Turkey, Russia and Iran into a battle for influence in the sensitive south Caucasus.
Ilham Aliyev, the Azerbaijani president, said Armenian forces had to withdraw from Nagorno-Karabakh before dialogue could begin.
Azerbaijan, which is backed by Turkey, has demanded withdrawal of Armenian troops from Nagorno-Karabakh and adjacent areas seized by ethnic Armenian troops.
Earlier this week, Armenia said it stood “ready to engage” with mediators from France, Russia and the U.S. to try to agree a ceasefire.
The region of Nagorno-Karabakh lies inside Azerbaijan but has been under the control of ethnic Armenian forces backed by Armenia since the end of a separatist war in 1994.
The fighting erupted Sept. 27 and has killed dozens, marking the biggest escalation in the conflict. Both sides have accused each other of expanding the hostilities beyond Nagorno-Karabakh.
- Nagorno-Karabakh clashes (ISNews)
- Armenian forces bomb Azerbaijan’s second city as fighting escalates (FT)
- ALLEGED AZERBAIJANI ADVANCE IN NAGORNO-KARABAKH ON OCTOBER 4 (MAP UPDATE) (SouthFront)
- Nagorno-Karabakh conflict: Major cities hit as heavy fighting continues (BBC)
- Nagorno-Karabakh: Key cities targeted in Armenian, Azeri shelling (Al-Jazeera)