Kim misschie per trein naar Vietnam voor top met Trump
February 27, 2019 - February 28, 2019 - Een marathontreinreis van Pyongyang naar Vietnam – via China – zal minstens twee dagen duren en brengt de Noord-Koreaanse leider meer dan 3.000 km verder voor zijn tweede top met de Amerikaanse president Donald Trump.
Japanese and South Korean media first cited sources saying Kim was likely to take his private train from Pyongyang to cross the border town of Dandong into China and then go onwards to Vietnam.
Kim’s train will stop at the Vietnamese border station of Dong Dang where he will disembark and drive 170 km (105 miles) to Hanoi by car, the sources said.
Kim’s distinctive green and yellow private train is armour-plated and it is fitted with satellite phones, bedrooms and conference spaces.
Each of its 21 carriages is bulletproof, giving the entire train an average speed of just 60km/h.
According to a 2009 South Korea news report that relied on classified information, three trains operate each time the North Korean leader travels.
An advance train checks the safety of the railway lines. The leader’s train follows between 20 minutes and one hour after the first. The third train carries additional bodyguards and communications equipment.
Military helicopters and planes provide extra security.
Travel by train has been a favourite mode of transport for Kim Jong-un, and his father, Kim Jong-il, and grandfather, Kim Il-sung.
- Vietnam tightens security at border station ahead of Kim Jong Un visit (Reuters)
- Hosts expecting Kim Jong Un to arrive by train (Strait Times)
- Bulletproof, Slow and Full of Wine: Kim Jong-un’s Mystery Train (NYT)
- Inside Kim Jong Uns personal train (Business Insider)
- Speculations abound on how Kim Jong-un will travel to Hanoi for 2nd NK-US summit (Hani.co.kr)