Arrestaties bij invallen Italiaanse bende in cocaïnehandel
December 6, 2018 - Tientallen verdachte leden van het Italiaanse syndicaat van georganiseerde misdaad ‘Ndrangheta zijn gearresteerd in een serie zorgvuldig gecoördineerde politie-invallen in Europa en Latijns-Amerika.
European officials announced the arrests at the Hague headquarters of Eurojust, the European Union prosecutors agency set up to bolster the fight against cross-border crime in the 28-nation bloc. Eurojust and EU police agency Europol coordinated the raids.
As well as arresting dozens of suspected mobsters in Italy, Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands, police seized drugs and around 2 million euros ($2.3 million), according to the Associated Press.
Wednesday’s raids were the culmination of a two-year investigation codenamed Pollino against the powerful ’Ndrangheta criminal group on allegations of cocaine trafficking, money laundering, bribery and violence, Eurojust said.
- Police arrest 84 in European crackdown on Italian mob (AP)
- Italian organised crime (Global Security)
- Scores arrested in crackdown on Italian cocaine trafficking gang (Reuters)
- Operation Pollino: Ndrangheta mafia struck in Europe-wide sting (BBC)
- Coordinated crackdown on Ndrangheta mafia in Europe (Eurojust)