Informe de situación - día 453
May 22, 2023 - El presidente Zelensky ha asegurado al presidente Biden de EUA en la cumbre del G7 en Hiroshima que los jets de combate F-16 donados por los aliados a Kiev no se usarán para atacar territorio ruso.
Washington has endorsed the idea of joint allied training programmes for Ukrainian pilots on F-16 fighter jets although it has yet to commit to allowing the transfer of the planes to Kyiv.
The Kremlin has warned that an attack on Crimea would be seen as an attack on Russia, and would raise the question of NATO involvement, threatening to escalate the situation. According to the Russian ambassador to the U.S., “There is no infrastructure for the operation of the F-16 in Ukraine and the needed number of pilots and maintenance personnel is not there either. What will happen if the American fighters take off from NATO airfields, controlled by foreign ‘volunteers’?”
- Institute for the Study of War
- Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant switched to standby - Russia-installed official (Reuters)
- Ukraine aims to encircle Bakhmut as Russia says it captures city (Reuters)
- Moscow to hold Russia-China security talks on Monday, RIA reports (Reuters)
- Russia says F-16s to Ukraine would raise question of NATO involvement (Reuters)