EUA, RU Y Australia pactan proyecto de submarino nuclear
March 14, 2023 - EUA, RU y Australia crearán una nueva flota de submarinos de propulsión nuclear, destinada a contrarrestar las ambiciones de China en la región del Indo-Pacífico.
Australia's nuclear-powered submarine programme with the United States and Britain will cost up to $368 billion between now and the mid-2050s, the country's biggest single defence project in history.
Under the deal, called AUKUS, the U.S. intends to sell Australia three U.S. Virginia class nuclear-powered submarines, which are built by General Dynamics, in the early 2030s, with an option for Australia to buy two more if needed.
The multi-stage project would culminate with British and Australian production and operation of a new submarine class – SSN-AUKUS – a “trilaterally developed” vessel based on Britain’s next-generation design that would be built in Britain and Australia and include “cutting edge” U.S. technologies.
- Eyeing China, Biden and allies unveil nuclear-powered submarine plan for Australia (Reuters)
- FACT SHEET: Trilateral Australia-UK-US Partnership on Nuclear-Powered Submarines (White House)
- British-led design chosen for AUKUS submarine project (UK Government)
- Australia's nuclear-powered submarines (Australia government)
- Australia To Field Virginia & SSN-AUKUS Submarines (Naval News)