La fracturada oposición de Turquía se une contra Erdogan
May 14, 2023 - La neuva alianza opositor ade Turquía promete revertir las políticas del presidente Erdogan cuando se acerca la que muchos consideran la elección más trascendental en los 100 años de historia de la república.
Turkey’s often divided opposition parties have come together to choose a single candidate to face President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in May's election.
Kemal Kilicdaroglu, 74, leads the main secular opposition party, the centre-left Republican People's Party (CHP).
The coalition, called Nation Alliance, vows to reverse Erdogan’s economic, civil rights and foreign policies.
Polls suggest a tight race in a country highly polarised after two decades of Mr Erdogan's authoritarian rule.
After two decades in power the president is facing one of his toughest electoral tests, due to the combined effect of runaway inflation, alleged economic mismanagement and public outrage over the response to February’s devastating earthquake, which killed more than 45,000 in Turkey alone.
- Factbox: Turkey's anti-Erdogan bloc vows to reverse his legacy (Reuters)
- Turkey's opposition names Kilicdaroglu to take on Erdogan in election (Reuters)
- Quiet Politician Steps Up to Challenge Erdogan in Turkish Election (Bloomberg)
- Kemal Kilicdaroglu: Opposition picks 'Turkey's Gandhi' to challenge Erdogan in election (BBC)
- Turkey's fractured opposition unites against Erdogan (AFP)