Una tormenta helada invernal causa caos en las fiestas
December 23, 2022 - Una peligrosa masa de aire frío del Ártico afectará EUA durante las fiestasdecembrinas, frustrando los planes de viaje de millones de personas.
A freezing cold storm known as a “bomb cyclone” has descended on the United States, and looks set to ruin travel plans for million of people at one of the busiest times of the year – Christmas.
The storm took shape over the Great Lakes on Thursday, creating a low pressure system that saw pressure drop 24 millibars in 24 hours.
The cyclone could create snowfalls of more than 1cm an hour and bring howling winds that could reduce visibility to near-zero.
Add to that Arctic cold and wind chill factors, and you have a recipe for temperatures that feel like -40°C and can inflict frostbite on bare skin in 5-10 minutes.
Estimates suggest more than 100 million people planned to travel 80km or more during the festive period – and now may be unable to do so.
Likewise, more than 5,000 U.S. flights scheduled for Thursday and Friday were cancelled.
- Arctic ‘bomb cyclone’ threatens holiday travel for millions of Americans (Reuters)
- Deep freeze grips U.S. as winter 'bomb cyclone' looms ahead of holiday weekend (Reuters)
- Winter storm in US and Canada will bring frostbite within minutes (BBC)
- What is a bomb cyclone? (CNN)
- National Weather Service (NOAA)