El gráfico muestra áreas de control y términos del pacto de alto al fuego.
GN40763

CONFLICTO

Armenia, Azerbaiyán convienen fin de combates en Nagorno-Karabaj

November 10, 2020 - Armenia y Azerbaiyán anunciaron un acuerdo para detener los combates por la región de Nagorno-Karabaj de Azerbaiyán bajo un pacto firmado con Rusia que incluye despliegue de cerca de 2.000 efectivos rusos para el mantenimiento de la paz y concesiones territoriales.

Nagorno-Karabakh has been under the control of ethnic Armenian forces backed by Armenia since a 1994 truce ended a separatist war in which an estimated 30,000 people died. Sporadic clashes have occurred since then, and full-scale fighting began on September 27.

Several ceasefires had been called but were almost immediately violated. However, the agreement announced early Tuesday appeared more likely to take hold because Azerbaijan has made significant advances, including taking control of the strategically key city of Shushi on Sunday, AP said.

The new ceasefire agreement prompted anger in Armenia, as protesters stormed the parliament, beating up the speaker and reportedly looting the prime minister's office, the BBC said.

Under the new deal, Azerbaijan will hold on to areas of Nagorno-Karabakh that it has taken during the conflict. Armenia has also agreed to withdraw from several other adjacent areas over the next few weeks.

PUBLISHED: 10/11/2020; STORY: Graphic News
Graphic News Standards