Los sucesores potenciales de Merkel
December 7-8, 2018 -- Dos favoritos con visiones opuestas compiten por suceder a Angela Merkel en el liderazgo de la Unión Demócrata Cristiana (CDU), en un voto crucial para el futuro de la nación dominante de la UE
One is Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer, a Merkel protege seen as the candidate of continuity. The other is Friedrich Merz, a long-time Merkel rival who promises more radical change.
Jens Spahn, the federal health minister, is also in the running.
The outcome of the vote for a new leader at a party congress is crucial not only for the CDU, which governs in a three-party coalition, but also for the future of the European Union’s dominant country and biggest economy. Merkel remains chancellor but whoever takes over the CDU is likely to be its candidate in the next federal election, due by October 2021.
- Angela Merkel's CDU holds US-style race to elect next party head (DW)
- Merkel protege and old rival battle to lead Germany's ruling party (Reuters)
- Factbox: Candidates to succeed Merkel as CDU party leader (Reuters)
- After Angela: the race to succeed Merkel (FT)
- The fight for succession – the CDU leadership battle heats up (LSE)