U.S. bases under threat
February 5, 2024 - The U.S. has warned it will keep targeting Iranian-aligned militants in Iraq and Syria after carrying out mass air strikes in the wake of a drone attack that killed three U.S. soldiers in late January.
Overnight, a drone attack carried out by the Iran-backed Islamic Resistance group killed six Kurdish commandos from the Syrian Democratic Forces at a U.S. base in eastern Syria. Fourteen people were injured, the SDF said.
The attack on the base near the Al Omar oil field is a response by Iranian militias on American bases after U.S. airstrikes at the end of last week, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
On Sunday, Jake Sullivan, U.S. national security adviser, said that strikes against 85 targets that killed at least 39 people and injured dozens more in Iraq and Syria are “the beginning, not the end” of Washington’s response.
In Damascus, the Syrian foreign ministry denounced the strikes, saying in a statement issued Saturday they violated the country’s “sovereignty, territorial integrity and the safety of its people” while threatening peace and security in the region.
Issuing a warning to “those who might seek to do us harm,” President Joe Biden said, “Know this: If you harm an American, we will respond.”