Ukraine claims it killed 34 Russian officers in Crimea attack
September 26, 2023 - Ukrainian Special Operations Forces claim that a precision air strike on the Black Sea Fleet HQ in Crimea killed 34 Russian officers, including Commander Admiral Viktor Sokolov.
Ukraine’s special forces say they killed Moscow’s top admiral in Crimea, along with 33 other officers, in its September 22 missile attack on the Black Sea Fleet headquarters in the port of Sevastopol.
The following announcement was made by the Ukrainian special forces via the Telegram messaging app: ”After the strike on the headquarters of the Russian Black Sea Fleet, 34 officers died, including the commander of the Russian Black Sea Fleet. Another 105 occupiers were wounded. The headquarters building cannot be restored.”
The Russian Defence Ministry has not confirmed or denied that Admiral Viktor Sokolov, the commander of the Black Sea Fleet, and one of Russia’s most senior navy officers, has been killed.
Crimea, which Russia illegally annexed in 2014, is a critically strategic region that provides a platform for Russia’s many air attacks on Ukraine – which has itself recently come under frequent retaliatory strikes from Ukraine.
- Russian video ‘shows Black Sea fleet commander alive’ (BBC)
- Ukraine says Russia Black Sea Fleet commander killed (Reuters)
- Ukraine claims to have killed the head of Russia’s Black Sea Fleet (New York Times)
- Russian offensive campaign, Sep 23, 2023 (ISW)
- Russian offensive campaign, Sep 25, 2023 (ISW)