F-16 fighter jet training planned for Ukraine’s pilots
May 25, 2023 - President Volodymyr Zelensky has said the delivery of F-16 fighter jets to Ukraine would be a sure signal from the world that Russia’s invasion would end in defeat.
Ukraine’s quest for the U.S.-built jet received a big boost over the weekend when U.S. President Joe Biden gave his backing for Kyiv’s pilots to be trained to fly them.
Biden’s comments at a summit with G7 leaders in Japan came days after Britain and the Netherlands said they were building an “international coalition” to help Ukraine procure F-16s as it seeks to improve its defences against Russian air attacks.
The F-16s would be a significant upgrade to the largely Soviet-era aircraft currently in Ukraine’s fleet, CNN said.
- Factbox: Ukraine wants F-16 jets – how is coalition developing for training pilots? (Reuters)
- 2023 World Air Forces directory (Flight Global)
- Norway retires F-16 as F-35 takes on national air defence (Janes)
- F-16 Fighting Falcon (USAF)
- F-16s for Ukraine: Why Kyiv would still face big hurdles in using the U.S.-made fighter jets (CNN)