Situation report day 274
November 24, 2022 -
Around 70 Russian cruise missiles and five drones targeting energy
infrastructure caused blackouts across the entire country and neighbouring Moldova.
Although 21 of 31 targeting the capital were shot down, enough of them breached air defences to cause the biggest power outages in Kyiv since the start of the war, with 70% of the city without power. Power units at three nuclear power stations were also shut down as the electricity frequency around the country was affected.
Polish Defence Minister Mariusz Blaszczak has asked Germany to send Patriot anti-missile systems intended for Poland to Ukraine instead, saying it would not only protect Ukraine but would also “increase security at our eastern border”.
- Russian Offensive Campaign Assessment (ISW)
- Ukraine races to restore power after outages in Kyiv, other cities (Reuters)
- Poland asks Germany to send Patriot missile launchers to Ukraine's western border (Kyiv Independent)
- Zelenskiy condemns ‘energy terror’ at UN meeting after 10 die in latest mass strikes (The Guardian)
- European Parliament website hit by cyberattack after Russian terrorism vote (Politico)