Graphic shows details on WHO budget contributions in 2018-19.
GN40137

HEALTH

Trump suspends WHO funding

April 15, 2020 - President Donald Trump said he was cutting off U.S. payments to the World Health Organisation during the coronavirus pandemic, accusing the organisation of failing to do enough to stop the virus from spreading when it first surfaced in China.

Trump, who had telegraphed his intentions last week, claimed the outbreak could have been contained at its source and that lives could have been saved had the UN health agency done a better job investigating the early reports coming out of China.

“The WHO failed in its basic duty and must be held accountable,” Trump said at a Tuesday briefing. He said the U.S. would be reviewing the WHO’s actions to stop the virus before making any decision on resuming aid.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres responded to Trump’s announcement by saying now is not the time to end support for the World Health Organisation, calling the WHO “absolutely critical” to the global effort to combat Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.

PUBLISHED: 15/04/2020; STORY: Graphic News
Graphic News Standards