Inaugural women-only racing championship
May 3-August 11, 2019 -- An international single-seater motor racing championship for women aims to help female drivers in their quest towards winning a coveted seat in Formula 1.
The new W Series competition, which uses identical Tatuus F3-spec racing cars, has the backing of former F1 race winner David Coulthard (who is a member of the series’ management and will commentate on the televised events), and offers a total prize pot of $1.5 million.
The championship winner will collect $500,000 to help fund their progression up the racing ladder to, hopefully, F1 status.
The six-round series features 30-minute races at classic circuits across Europe. If successful, future series could see expansion in Australia, Asia and the Americas.
- W Series (official website)
- W Series favourite Jamie Chadwick on five-year plan to blow F1's doors down and ignoring the doubters (The Telegraph)
- W Series: Everything to know about the women-only racing championship (The Drive)
- New all-female W Series to launch in 2019 (motorsport.com)
- May 3-5, 2019: Women-only motor racing series opens (NewsAhead)