Türkeis zersplitterte Opposition vereint sich gegen Erdogan
May 14, 2023 - Türkeis neue Oppositionsallianz verspricht Umkehr der Politik von Präsident Erdogan, viele sehen dies als die konsequentenreichste Wahl in der 100-jährigen Geschichte der modernen Türkei.
Turkey’s often divided opposition parties have come together to choose a single candidate to face President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in May's election.
Kemal Kilicdaroglu, 74, leads the main secular opposition party, the centre-left Republican People's Party (CHP).
The coalition, called Nation Alliance, vows to reverse Erdogan’s economic, civil rights and foreign policies.
Polls suggest a tight race in a country highly polarised after two decades of Mr Erdogan's authoritarian rule.
After two decades in power the president is facing one of his toughest electoral tests, due to the combined effect of runaway inflation, alleged economic mismanagement and public outrage over the response to February’s devastating earthquake, which killed more than 45,000 in Turkey alone.
- Factbox: Turkey's anti-Erdogan bloc vows to reverse his legacy (Reuters)
- Turkey's opposition names Kilicdaroglu to take on Erdogan in election (Reuters)
- Quiet Politician Steps Up to Challenge Erdogan in Turkish Election (Bloomberg)
- Kemal Kilicdaroglu: Opposition picks 'Turkey's Gandhi' to challenge Erdogan in election (BBC)
- Turkey's fractured opposition unites against Erdogan (AFP)