Ansteigen der Ankunft von Migranten in Italien, trotz Gefahr
February 27, 2023 -
Das Wrack des Bootes vor Süditalien hat ein Licht auf die gefährliche Fahrt geworfen, die tausende Menschen auf sich nehmen um das Mittelmeer zu überqueren.
More than 100 people, including children, are feared to have died after their boat sank in rough seas off southern Italy on Sunday.
The vessel, thought to have carried some 200 people, broke apart while trying to land near the town of Crotone.
The coastguard said 80 people had been found alive, “including some who managed to reach the shore after the sinking”, meaning many more remain unaccounted for, according to the BBC.
Italy is one of the main landing points for migrants trying to enter Europe by sea, with many seeking to travel on to richer northern European nations. But do to so, they must brave the world’s most dangerous migration route, Reuters said.
According to monitoring groups, more than 20,000 people have died or gone missing at sea in the central Mediterranean since 2014.
- Italy migrant boat shipwreck: More than 100 people feared dead (BBC)
- Factbox: Migrant arrivals in Italy on the rise, despite high danger (Reuters)
- Migrant shipwreck in Italy kills at least 59, including 12 children (Reuters)
- Mediterranean situation (UNHCR)
- Migrant data (Italian Ministry of Interior)