Russische Invasion: Situationsbericht Tag 320
January 9, 2023 -
Der ukrainische Präsident Selenskyi verurteilt den Bruch Russlands seines selbst angekündigten Weihnachts-Waffenstillstands, wobei Bakhmut und Soledar die ständigen Angriffe abwehren musste.
Russian claims of 600 Ukrainian troops killed in revenge for the December 31st rocket attack on Makiivka which killed at least 89 Russian personnel has been dismissed as disinformation even within Russia. The mayor of Kramatorsk said two educational buildings had been damaged but reporters found no sign of casualties in the town.
Fighting continues to rage around Bakhmut and Soledar, with the towns subjected to near-constant bombardment. Yevgeny Prigozhin, head of the private military Wagner Group, has said that he is seeking to gain control of the vast underground mining “cities” nearby which could be used to move troops and tanks, and not for financial gain as had been alleged. There are around 100 miles of salt and gypsum mining tunnels and a vast cavern which in former times hosted football matches and classical music concerts.
- Russian offensive campaign assessment (ISW)
- Wagner boss says he wants Bakhmut in Ukraine for its 'underground cities' (Reuters)
- No sign of casualties after Russia claims revenge attack on Ukrainian soldiers (Reuters)
- Russia and Belarus extend military drills amid fears of new push into Ukraine (The Guardian)
- German won't rule out deliveries of Leopard tanks to Ukraine, economy minister says (Reuters)