Biden ist bereit, nehr Flüchtlinge aufzunehmen
February 5, 2021 -
Präsident Joe Biden unterzeichnete eine Executive Order, die eine radikale Steigerung der Flüchtlinge vorsieht, die im nächsten Fiskaljahr in die Vereinigten Staaten einreisen können. Unter Präsident Donald Trump waren nur 15.000 vorgesehen, Präsident Joe Biden erhöht auf 125.000.
In the order, Biden called for an expansion of the decades-old U.S. refugee programme, which was gutted by former President Trump, who frequently portrayed refugees as economic and security risks.
After former President Obama set a 110,000-person ceiling before leaving office, Trump slashed it every fiscal year, allocating a historically low 15,000 spots in 2020.
Last week, the United Nations refugee agency reported that countries around the globe received fewer than 23,000 refugees in 2020, the lowest number in nearly two decades, in part due to travel restrictions during the coronavirus pandemic.
The agency said that out of the more than 20 million refugees it is assisting in different countries, 1.44 million are in urgent need of resettlement.
Biden said the goal of 125,000 refugee admissions would be for the coming fiscal year, which begins on Oct 1, 2021.
- Biden signs order to ramp up refugee admissions and plans to allocate 125,000 spots next fiscal year (CBS News)
- Biden takes actions to protect LGBTQ rights worldwide, allow more refugees in US (abc News)
- Biden set to accept more refugees after years of Trump restrictions (Reuters)
- Rebuilding the U.S. Refugee Program for the 21st Century (Center for American Progress)
- Report to Congress on Proposed Refugee Admissions for Fiscal Year 2021 (U.S. Department of State)