موجة حر شديدة تجتاح أوروبا
July 13, 2023 - موجة حر شديدة ستجلب ظروفاً قاسية عبر مساحات شاسعة في جنوب أوروبا خلال الأيام القليلة القادمة حسب التوقعات.
Temperatures are expected to surpass 40°C in parts of France, Greece, Croatia and Turkey.
Spain has been sweltering for days in temperatures of up to 45°C in much of country.
In Italy, the record European temperature of 48.8°C registered near Syracuse, Sicily, in Aug 2021, could be exceeded in the coming days. A red alert warning has been issued for 10 cities, including Rome, Florence and Bologna.
The impact of extreme summer heat has been brought into focus by research this week that said as many as 61,000 people may have died in Europe's sweltering heatwaves last summer.
The ISGlobal Institute in Barcelona said Italy had most deaths that could be attributable to the heat, with 18,010, while Spain had 11,324 and Germany 8,173.
- Southern Europe swelters as Cerberus heatwave bites (Reuters)
- Cerberus heatwave: Hot weather sweeps across southern Europe (BBC)
- Temperature forecast in Europe (ClimateReanalyzer.org)
- Record-breaking Heat in the Summer of 2022 Caused more than 61,000 Deaths in Europe (ISGlobal Institute)
- Spain sweats out sultry nights as heat wave bakes southern Europe (AP)