User Terms: Publishers Graphics are licensed by Graphic News to a Publisher for use in the Permitted Publication(s) subject to payment of an Agreed Price and the terms below
Words such as Permitted Publication, Publisher, and Agreed Fee are written with an initial capital letter below because they have a specific meaning in this context. Links to definitions, explanations and other points of clarification are shown in blue
- USE: Graphics can be reproduced as supplied, translated or modified, or the graphic elements used to create new custom graphics.
- Graphics are for use only in the context of the Publisher’s own editorial coverage.
- Graphics may only be used during the Term of the Agreement with Graphic News. Where a term is not specified graphic(s) can be used once only.
- Where graphics are published electronically, a suitable bitmap format such as JPG (rather than vector) should be used. Techniques, such as a transparent layer above graphics, are recommended to prevent the acquisition of graphics.
- Publishers may use iframes to publish iGraphics hosted by Graphic News provided the cut-and-paste code supplied by Graphic News is used. This permission may be withdrawn at Graphic News' sole discretion.
- Where a publication is electronic, personal use of pages containing Graphic News copyright material is permitted providing the context of the original publication is retained, but framing and similar techniques that would enable the copyright material to appear on other websites are not.
- CREDITS: An appropriate credit must always be included whenever a Graphic is published. The credit should be as in the graphic supplied, for example GRAPHIC NEWS. If the Graphic is modified by the Publisher then this should be indicated in the credit, for example GRAPHIC NEWS/PUBLICATION. The credit should only be abbreviated, for example to GN, when space limitations make a full credit impossible or when the credit relates to a single element, either alone or contained within a larger graphic.
- SOURCES for pictures licensed for use by Graphic News must be included whenever a Graphic with picture is published. Graphic News should also be quoted as the source if a Graphic is used as visual reference, or information contained within a graphic is referred to, or words associated with a graphic are published.
- METADATA giving information on copyright and how to contact Graphic News should be retained with files wherever possible.
- LINKS: Electronic publications using Graphics must include a link to the Graphic News website.
- STORAGE, COPYING AND ARCHIVING: Publishers are permitted to retain Graphics in their own archives in the context in which they were originally published provided these archives are not used as a source for re-use in a different context.
- Graphics may not be downloaded and archived on the Publisher’s computers for use at a later date. Graphics may only be copied and stored to enable the permitted use and only during the term of the Agreement with Graphic News. All other copies of Graphics must be deleted from all other storage devices after a maximum of three months if not agreed otherwise.
- Graphics and any Login UserName or password supplied by Graphic News to the Publisher must be kept secure and not be copied, reproduced, posted, broadcast, transmitted, communicated, transferred, assigned, rented, leased or otherwise disposed of to any third party except as specifically agreed in writing. Publishers are responsible for making sure their staff and any contractors given access to the Service abide by the User Terms.
- Publishers should: Ensure that the graphics as used do not breach any applicable laws, rules, regulations or local market conventions; Notify Graphic News immediately should any problems arise with the Graphics; Remove a Graphic from a website or similar recurring publication within 24 hours if reasonably requested by Graphic News so to do; Indemnify Graphic News for any losses incurred due to failure of the Publisher to comply with the terms of this agreement.
- Graphic News will: Take all reasonable efforts to make sure Graphics are suitable for the Permitted Use and that all necessary third party permissions have been obtained; Agree to respond without delay should problems arise with Graphics; In no event be liable for loss or damage to the Publisher arising due to the delay, or non-delivery, or Use of any Graphic, including but not limited to technical factors such as viruses, or power failure or failure of the Publisher’s system.
- LAW: This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England. All Agreements are in the English language. Translations are available for the convenience of the Publisher, but should there be a difference in meaning or interpretation, the English language version will take precedence. All Clauses except that allowing the use of graphics, outlive the term of this agreement.
- AMENDMENTS: Graphic News reserves the right to make reasonable amendments to this Agreement at any time by posting the amended terms on the Graphic News website. If any of the terms of this Agreement are held to be illegal or unenforceable the validity and enforceability of the remainder shall continue in full force and effect. The provision in question shall be replaced by a valid and enforceable term which corresponds as far as possible with the original. Failure of either party to exercise any right or remedy under this Agreement does not constitute a waiver of that right or remedy.
- Graphic News: Graphic News Ltd., a company registered in England and Wales, registration number 2152373, registered address 8 Ely Place, Holborn, London EC1N 6RY, website http://www.graphicnews.com
- Publisher: The company or person who pays the license fee and is responsible for the Permitted Publication.
- Agreements: Shall either be in writing and signed by both parties as confirmation of their agreement, or in the form of a “contract invoice” in which the license is subject to payment of the agreed fee and the terms specified on the invoice. With self-invoicing online, the Agreement is made when Graphic News confirms their acceptance.
- Agreed Fee: Fee agreed between the Publisher and either Graphic News or an alternative company acting on behalf of Graphic News, for the supply of and license to use a Graphic.
- Graphic: For the purpose of this Agreement the term Graphic includes the graphics as supplied, the elements, words and coding used in their construction and with which they are associated, all rearrangements, modifications, or translations made of these regardless of the form or media in or on which the graphics are supplied, or stored or copied to.
- Permitted Publication(s): The publication(s) in which the licensed graphic may be reproduced or appear. (Last revised 03 January 2013)